Sony copy 360 Chatpad, add layer of FUGLY.

From Kotaku.com comes this story: Sony have announced a Chatpad-like peripheral for the Playstation 3 controller. Unfortunately, it appears to be the ugliest peripheral ever designed. Has some neat features though.

Well, when we say “neat features”, we actually mean “pretty much the same features that the Chatpad already has”, although it does have a function whereby the whole keypad can be used as a touch pad to allow users to move the pointer around whilst surfing the web by sliding their fingers across it. Which is pretty cool.

Well, it would be cool, but for the fact that the whole thing clips onto the top of the controller. Which just seems…well, dumb. The 360 Chatpad works fine because it is effortless to use – your thumbs are pretty much there already. And although it adds a little weight to the controller, it is well-balanced and unnoticeable.

But this…this just looks plain wrong. I mean, I hate the Playstation controllers anyway. Small, poky little things that require you to scrunch your hands up to grip them, and give me hand cramps after about an hour. And now they expect that you will be happy to take your scrunchy hand, cramping away, and move your thumbs up all the way to the pad keys? The 360 pad requires a very slight shift in thumb position. This thing looks like you would have to change your whole grip on the damn controller. And I can’t imagine it balances all that well, either. We shall see.

As one commenter on Kotaku so eloquently put it:

Seriously…does Sony not know where people usually grow thumbs? This looks incredibly cumbersome.

Advertisements

6 Comments

1. tom
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 3:20 am | Permalink | Reply

Lol, some people really just shouldn’t write blogs…

2. Posted November 13, 2008 at 8:12 pm | Permalink | Reply

lol!

3. simbadogg
    Posted February 26, 2009 at 9:22 am | Permalink | Reply

as the above person said, some people really shouldn’t write blogs. i really really really hope you dont get paid for this

4. Posted February 26, 2009 at 7:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

Wow, cool your jets. It’s my opinion. Which I am entitled to write. You don’t have to read it.

And at least the first commenter was light-hearted, and gave me a laugh. Your comment was just plain rude.

Next time you offer such an ascerbic criticism – which you are, of course, more than entitled to do – I would suggest that rather than just flame you actually make it constructive. Like, you know, suggest why you have such a strong dislike for it. I am 100% open to constructive criticism. If you think it is badly written, then constructive criticism will help me see weak skills and allow me to learn to develop them. If it is an objection to the opinion expressed, then state your case, and perhaps an intelligent discussion from differing sides of the camp can ensue.

Flaming just pisses people off. Just makes you sound like a whiny fanboy. Which, by the way, would be ironic, as I also slagged off Microsoft’s limited edition controller in a separate article.

Next.

5. dustin
    Posted April 22, 2009 at 2:54 am | Permalink | Reply

well 1st off since you said “looks like” gives me the idea, you’ve never used the keypad so you should not be bashing it so badly.

6. Posted April 22, 2009 at 6:11 pm | Permalink | Reply

hay Dustin, thanks for coming back to me 🙂

True, I had not (at that point) used it. But, in my defence, it is a forward-looking opinion piece – I don’t say “this is bad”, I say (in effect) “this looks like it might be bad”. That’s why I put the “we shall see” at the end. I’m merely giving my opinion based on an image. As it turns out, I did try using one, and yep, I couldn’t take to it at all (but then, like I said, I have no love for the ergonomics of the PS controllers anyway).

Ultimately, nothing is safe from opinion or criticism just because the speaker hasn’t experienced it directly. After all, an opinion piece is just that – my thoughts on a particular subject. For example, I could write a piece slagging the Wii off something rotten, and for me it would be justified because the Wii offers nothing to me in terms of the type of games I play or the experience I demand of a games console, and the type of games you do get for it are anathaema to me. I would, of course, be totally opposite to someone who enjoys the Wii game library, but that is their taste, and mine is mine – and we would both be right.

If you were to extend your point to ANY kind of opinion, I would be wrong to watch a movie trailer and say “Wow, this movie looks like it will be awesome!” (or the opposite) because I had not yet seen the movie. But that would be silly.

The key is that as long as the point is made that the writer’s opinion is being expressed, and that the writer ackowledges within the subtext that he or she may have their mind changed, the opinion is valid.

Of course, ideally I would have written a follow-up actually stating my experience, but I never got round to it. But if I had found the pad comfortable and easy to use, I would have happily stated so.